5 Tips to Manage Mail and Handle Requests in PilotoMail
Tips and tricks to keep your mailroom organized and mail accessible.
Best Practices for Mail Management
Before the volume of mail grows and takes over your mailroom, learn some best practices to keep your mailroom’s handling operations as tight and smooth as possible (and avoid human errors) while using PilotoMail.
1. Download the PilotoMail Admin app for mail operators
You’ve got mail! With the app, you can snap a pic of each mailpiece.
- The image will be uploaded to your operator platform for you to start the tracking process of all mail that arrives at your space. Select the corresponding space before uploading the pictures.
- While taking pictures of incoming mail, make sure it shows all relevant information, including the postal shipping label and sender. This will help you assign mail correctly.
- Avoid cropping the Postnet barcode. The barcode is a series of tall and short bars that are printed on a mailpiece. It is unique to each mailpiece and can help you avoid mistakes when you receive almost identical envelopes.
- Before taking pictures of mail, arrange them in alphabetical order by company name. This will save you a lot of time and help your team stay organized.
2. Make packages and forward requests a priority
Because packages are highly tracked and renters are eager to receive their goodies, make them a priority when uploading items.
- Once you’ve uploaded all packages to PilotoMail, write with a marker the last name of each recipient on at least three sides and organize them in alphabetical order.
- When a customer comes to pick up their package or requests a forward, you know exactly where to find it. This will help you stay on top of the game to carry out future deliveries.
- Another request to keep in mind is forward requests. Have them ready for the postal mail carrier when they drop by.
3. Complete open and scan requests like a pro
When looking for a specific piece of mail, notice the difference in Postnet barcodes at the bottom right corner. Because they are unique to each mailpiece, they can help you identify and distinguish each piece. Also, the order you organize and open mail items to scan their contents makes a difference:
- Place the most recent letter facing down and keep piling the rest of them right behind it.
- Once you have collected all the mail, face the pile forward and continue to open them with a letter opener. (We love this letter opener. It’s amazing!)
- After opening, put them face down again until you have gone through all of them.
- Put them facing up again.
- On your desktop or scan folder, create a folder and rename it with the present date.
- Once you scan each piece of mail, save them in this folder with the last name of your renter.
4. The ABCs have never been more important
Arrange incoming mail in alphabetical order by company name or renter name (depending on how you’ve organized your mailroom) before uploading them to PilotoMail. This will save you a lot of time when archiving mail in your mailroom.
5. Organize fulfilled open & scan requests before filing
After assigning all mail through PilotoMail, arrange automated scan requests from oldest to newest before filing.
✌🏽 Snailed it!
PilotoMail is a mail management platform powering mailroom automation and virtual mailboxes for the remote workforce. By giving mailrooms a digital-first makeover, mail operators can deliver outstanding services all while managing large volumes of mail efficiently, complying with all postal regulations easily, and increasing revenue effortlessly.